Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane


This weekend I am going to teach at the Foundation for Jewish Camp (formerly, and much more sensibly I think, called the Foundation for Jewish CampING) conference in Pennsylvania.

One bad thing about this is that the sessions I am presenting are not yet fully prepared. Best to get on that. Another bad thing is that since I now live in Berkeley, my local airport is Oakland--the People's Airport, as Nalini calls it--and I just can't help but long for the off-on-an-adventure, world-traveler feel that seems so signature at SFO.

One GREAT thing is that when I get back I will be staying alone, peacefully and quietly alone, in the city for about a week before I move to the woods to live with hundreds of hippies all summer long. Such a huge gift. I cannot wait. But until then, I was the 20th person to check in online and print my boarding pass and I am leaving tomorrow and if the nineteen people who board before me somehow take up all the aisle seats in the plane before I get on, I will kick someone. You think I'm kidding? Oh, but I'm not.

2 comments:

rm said...

Flying into Baltimore? Spending any scenic time in the area? Have a safe and happy trip!

sarah said...

i actually just made plans to stay and extra night and day with friends in silver spring. are you nearby, should i come and say hello? it would be on thursday, may 29th. i have no sense of the area's geography so it might be a huge pain in the ass, or it could be really fun. what if i promise to bring tea leaf salad?! eww it would be gross by then, but a nice thought nonetheless :)