Saturday, May 10, 2008

Me at Esalen

One interesting piece of feedback that I've gotten over the past months that I've been writing this blog: "Sarah! There are never any pictures of you! We've seen the images-only dials on the washer in your apartment in Jerusalem, we've seen the delicious treats your French housemate used to leave you for bedtime snack after you got back from Hebrew class, but we never get to see any pictures of YOU!" True, because I do not find photos of myself particularly interesting and this is my blog after all so I get to decide what I publish and what I do not, but also because many of the pictures I have taken do not have me in them since I am there seeing it for myself and do not need to record my presence for posterity.

However, the perfect combination of newly-repaired camera and newly-acquired laptop come together to make it possible to publish photos in a way that was nothing short of agonizing before, so now I offer you some recent pictures of me from my adventures in Big Sur.


The first day of our cooking class, everyone got aprons and mine and Heidi's just happened to be fancy while everyone else's were plain. Needless to say, that apron now hangs in my closet in Berkeley.






Adrianne and I made a delicious cake for dessert one day!






Can you see me? One night I went to the Art Barn to watch the sun set, then stayed and painted for an hour or so. I am wearing a different apron in this picture, but it is not nearly as cool as my black one so it got left behind in the Art Barn where it belonged so other people could use it too.






One of my favorite memories of my first trip to Esalen was standing on this random platform in the middle of the yard between the dining hall and the sea, hula hooping with one of the many that are lying about for anyone's pleasure. I loved it so much that the huge bruise I got on my hip was not souvenir enough and upon returning to San Francisco last spring ordered my own custom-made one and could be seen on many an occasion last May and early June hula hooping in Golden Gate Park. Alas, my hula hoop got left behind in my office at camp at the end of last summer and so I have been without one...until my return to Big Sur and the platform by the sea.






One day at rest hour I hiked down the cliffs to the beach, laid down on a big flat rock that was hot from the sun, and took a nap. Before hiking back up to class I took this picture.

No comments: